Friday, March 28, 2008

Being Moxie

Moxie. Its a word I have been hearing a lot of lately and couldn't for the life of me figure out what it means. I also couldn't figure out why I'm drawn to the word, it appears to jump out at me at the craziest moments. I see it every where I look. So, this morning I decided to do some research and put my dogpile to use. I looked up the word moxie and this is the definition I found. moxie (mŏk'sē) --> n. Slang. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage. I see now why I am drawn to that word. I like to think of myself as being able to face what life throws at me with spirit and courage, I just always called it "sucking it up and moving forward". I like the term "moxie" soooo much better. So now that that has been solved, I'm on to the garden for the dreaded task of weeding the beds. I moved all the hibiscus out of the greenhouse last weekend and gave them a good dose of nitrogen. A few weeks also, I gave my roses their yearly vaccination of black spot virus control medicine and fertilizer. Today, I hope to hit both the hibiscus and roses with more Miracle Grow and then dig in battle the weeds. I will be putting to good use my new garden tool. I bought it last October at the Master Gardeners State Convention. Its called the cobra, I think. I used it this past weedend when I weeded the mailbox bed, and it was a dream, slicing through the dirt and grabbing hold of weeds, I really just had to tug a bit to pull running weeds, it made the job much easier. Tomorrow I will be attending a cake class all day. I can't wait. We will be learning how to make dobache, red velvet, and other types of specialty cakes. I'm looking forward to that. Then on Sunday, I will work in the yard again. Because come Monday, its back to work for me. Well, until later....

2 comments:

Julie said...

How was your cake class??? That sounds fun!!! I always wanted to do one, but then figured I'd have to eat it all...so I chickened out!!! Red Velvet cake sounds so good right now, with a big glass of milk!

Anonymous said...

I am a native of marrero la. I have hunted for a dobache cake recipe for years. acutually since mckenzies bakeries closed. any chance you could email me the recipe? I would be very grateful!!
m_p_faye@hotmail.com