Sunday, March 09, 2008

March Happenings

Flowers, like friends, give pleasure just by being. What a wonderful quote!!
Flowers also give you friends. I met a room full of people yesterday afternoon through our mutual love of flowers and gardening. I was honored to be asked to give a talk on Hibiscus to a garden club in North Louisiana. I was also very, very nervous. Russ and I got to our destination with about an hour to spare. We walked into the room to set up and was hit with "Is this the same type of hibiscuc we grow up here? "Their" type is the more northern alcimated hibiscus which I call a Dinner Plate Hibiscus, "My" type or the type I was presenting on are Tropical Hibiscus. After I explained this to some, their next comment was "Well we don't grow that kind up here, its too cold". Well, why didn't someone just shoot me right then and there. I was so disappointed. How could I enthusiastically speak about my passion to a closed minded audience.
Once I got started talking and sharing the 60+ pictures of exotic hibiscus to them, they were hooked. I think once I left, they were more than willing to give "MY" hibiscus' a try.
Here are a few pictures from my presentation.
This is Bon Temps (Good Times)

Starry Wind

Summer Wind

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh Donna...you were so brave to give a talk! How exciting! Glad you won them over! Your photos are lovely!