Monday, April 21, 2008

April in the Garden

I spent the entire day in the garden Sunday. I am still unpacking the greenhouse from the winter. I pulled weeds from the rose gardens and applied fresh mulch. I still need to give them another dose of fertilizer but already the blooms are beautiful.
Gemini Peace Blue Girl Tropicana I repotted most of the hibiscus, bought 4 new ones and started potting all the babies I rooted over the winter. I now have 38 hibiscus plants. My darling husband loves to help with these. Crawfish Pie Kiss and Tell I also bought 3 african violets yesterday. I love these thing, but didn't take good care of this this winter and they died. So I bought new ones. I also have this crazy obsession with clay pots. I love the old McCoy pottery and have a nice collection in the greenhouse on display. Wolff pots are my fav. I have several small ones that I keep planted and on the patio. The hardest thing about the small pots is keeping anything alive in them. I forget to water like I should. Last summer Walmart had some really cute pots that I couldn't resist. I bought two blues, a pastel pink, mint green, purple and a buttery yellow. The only problem I had was not enough drainage holes, so I drilled more AND lightened up my potting mix. I planted my voilets in three of these yesterday. Still searching for little plants for the remainer. I usually put small ferns and such. The rest of the yard is waking up from a dreary winter also. I pulled out my two plumerias and worked in some new soil. They have both started putting out their leaves. I still need to get a few more plants out and then attach the oak tree beds. Maybe next Sunday, Saturday I have a board meeting then a scrapbook class, so Saturday is a wash for the garden.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Good grief...you are the busiest woman I know! You make me tired just reading about all you do! LOL :)