Sunday, August 03, 2008

Neck Coolers Directions

Neck Coolers What you use in the middle are the soil crystals you buy at Wal-Mart in the garden section. Just be sure you don't put any down your drains. They swell about 5 times their size and will stop up a drain. Neck Coolers 1. Cut 100% cotton fabric 36" by 4 1/2" 2. Fold in half face sides together and stitch lengthwise. 3. Turn right side out, you should now have a 36" tube open on both ends. 4. Stitch one end closed. I sew at an angle so it has a point. Go up towards the other end about ten inches and sew another line, straight this time. Your goal is to have 3 compartments in your tube - 2 ties and a center one for the crystals 5. Pour about 1 - 2 tablespoons of dry crystals into the middle section. Go up 16 more inches from the last stitch and stitch another line. This will seal the crystals in the tube. 6. Stitch the other end closed, again at an angle for a point. You should now have two 10" ties with a middle section of 16" filled with the crystals 7. Soak the Neck Cooler in water for a couple of hours. 8. Wring out the excess water and tie around your neck. You can either let your neck cooler dry out between uses or keep in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. I have two made, on really hot days when they dry out quickly, I just swap them out. That way I always have a cool one. Here is the msds sheet for the crystals, this site also has directions for other neck coolers, cool vests and cool hats. http://watersorb.com/msds/pifl3005K4msds.htm Enjoy. Donna

5 comments:

Julie said...

Whoa...this is cool...I am sending this info over to my Mom who does all her own yard work in this miserable heat...she is a seamstress as well...I think she will love this idea! Thanks.

ratty said...

i've found that after 30 mins or so of being next to your skin, they tend to warm up so i just flip mine over to the "cool" side :) kinda like the cool side of the pillow! i had one last all day in the gettysburg summer heat, amazing! LOVE these things!

Julie/mom said...

THANKS! I have wanted to know what was inside those things so I could make you. You are great!

Julie/mom said...

I have searched all over, walmart, target, home depot, osh, local nursey, I can't find the soil crystals! Where did you get yours?
Thanks

Donna in Louisiana said...

Julie/Mom send me a private email please dllanclos@bellsouth.net