Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hibiscus Show

My husband and I participated in our first Hibiscus competition this weekend. I belong to a local chapter here in Louisiana. I have been growing hibiscus for approximately 10 years, but really got interested in some of the exotics ones about 3 years ago. My husband convinced me that we needed to join the local chapter and we did. We now have approximately 20 plants.
Anyway, as we were driving out of the driveway on our way to the show, I decided to bring a few blooms to enter in the competition. I figured, what the heck, it can't hurt and I will learn from the experience. I grabbed 6 blooms and entered 4 of them. To my surprise, one of the blooms one a gold ribbon (which is top honors) one won a blue ribbon which is 1st place, along with 3/4 of the other blooms in the show and two won red ribbons, 2nd place. I think the judges felt sorry for those last two blooms and just to be nice gave me red ribbons. At least I didn't get an X. An X is pretty harsh. Anyway I thought I would share my blooms with you here.

This is Marilyn Quayle, See my gold ribbon?

Another shot of Marilyn Quayle

This one is called Peach Tassel - See my blue ribbon?

A shot of some of the rows and rows of blooms that were entered.

Another shot of all the blooms. These are the blue and red ribbon winners.

This flower is called psyche. My husband liked this flower and wants to add it to our collection. This one won a gold ribbon.

I like this flower. It is called Hawaiian Salmon. I am in hot pursuit of this one. It was a gold ribbon winner.

At the end of the day, I was part of the trash detail team. Believe it or not this above picture is TRASH. Isn't that the loveliest trash you have every laid eyes on. As I snapped this picture, I was thinking of the old adage, One man's trash.....

1 comment:

Julie said...

I absolutely love to go to hibiscus shows...they are all so gorgeous. I cannot ever believe how large a bloom some folks get...looks like you have it down (the secret)! Gorgeous!!! And, I agree, that is the prettiest trash EVER!!!