Sunday, June 10, 2007

Life is Fragile....

"I just left Bobby's house:
The service was today.
Got me thinkin' about how fragile life is, As I drove away.
You know Amy was his only love,
In a moment she was gone, long gone:
It could have been me or you.
Oh, baby, there's no time to lose.
So I'm gonna bring home a dozen roses,
An' pour us a glass of wine.
An' I'm gonna put on a little music,
An' turn down the lights.
An' I'm gonna wrap my arms around you,
An' rock you all through the night,
An' I'm gonna love you,
Like it's the last day of my life. "
The above is from a Phil Vassar song that seems to say what I can't today.
Yesterday afternoon a very dear friend of mine lost her mother to bone cancer. Thank goodness it was a short battle because she was in tremendous pain. I got the call around 5:30. Then later in the evening my mother called to tell me that my uncle, her brother, has suffered a stroke and is in the hospital.
These events, which we all experience, have become more frequent in my life lately. I really can't believe that my parents are in their 70's, hell I'm pushing 50. When things like this happen, I just want to gather my children around me and hide. So please, remember to take care of the ones you love and to pick up the phone and let your parents, if you are fortunate enough to still have them with you, know how much they mean to you, eventhough they drive you nuts.
This week in cajun country has been wet, sticky, and above all else, HOT. The temps have been in the mid 90's with a heat index in the mid 100's and the humidity hovering around 90%. Like I said Hot and sticky. I have been trying to work in the yard, but can only get a couple of hours in before the air gets too thick to breathe. That's when I come in and try to scrap or read or make soap. The last batch I made was a spiced plum batch. I love this scent. It is so refreshing for me.
Today is Sunday. I have a general membership meeting for Mardi Gras this afternoon but first I want to pot up some coleus I bought. Have I mentioned how much I love coleus. Another one of my love things are terra cotta pots. I just love them. Wanna know a secret. I even repair them. When they get those little hairline cracks. Yep, I repair them. I saw someone, many years ago on tv showing how to repair a terra cotta pot and I have been doing it since them. Even those little 99 cent pots from Wal-mart. Those are my favorite. I will post pictures of these next time.
On Friday, I babysat my grandbaby. He is 15 months old now. Trying really really hard to talk. You know that Babbling with all the facial expressions and hand motions and pointings. Gotta love it.
Well it's 6:00 am on Sunday. That's my cue to hit the greenhouse, and go pot something. I'll also bring the camera and try to post pictures later.

My Luci-belle doing what she does best

My patio. This is my favorite room in the house at 6:00 in the morning.

3 comments:

Katya said...

Oh Donna, I am so sorry about your uncle, and your friend's mom. Sometimes it seems like there is so much sad stuff that we wonder how to make it through another day...but we do. May you find strength to endure!
Your patio picture is so wonderful! I could no sooner "do" Louisiana than anywhere south of Pennsylvania!!! Otherwise, I would love to see your wonderful outdoor room in person! My idea of ideal weather is probably about 40 or 50 degrees...enough to make a Southern Belle freeze, eh? Ah well...it was about mid-70's here in NY today, and it seemed so HOT in the sun!!!

Denise in PA said...

I love the terracotta pots...almost all of my plants are planted in them. You can repair them? Yourself? I'm impressed...I think I need to do some research on that subject!

Julie said...

What an amazing patio!!!
Julie