Monday, August 21, 2006

My Roses

My Roses - The Birthday Garden for this year.
I love roses. I have been growing roses since I was a teenager. My paternal grandmother grew roses. She had the most beautiful rose garden. She had roses with such names as Mr. Lincoln, Tropicana, Dolly Parton, Peace, and Lynn Anderson. There were red roses, white roses, yellow and orange ones. When I was about 16 I told my mom I wanted a rose garden and she talked my dad into making us one. We had about 6 rose bushes. They were not as pretty has my grandmothers, but they were mine.
All Abloom
When I got married, I made my very first just for me rose garden. I had three bushes that I cared for. Over the next 28 years I have lived in about 8 different homes and have had rose gardens at each one. When we moved into our present home, Russ made four rose gardens for me. There were already roses along one side of the house when we bought it. For my 43rd birthday he layed out a birthday garden for me. I planted six roses there. Then last year he layed out a more formal garden which is now home to 15 bushes. All together I have over 50 bushes. It's alot to care for but, he has become as enamored by them as I have and he helps. I love to walk around my yard and smell the roses. I also enjoy watching the birds that visit.

A garden friend

The view off my back patio

More Garden Friends

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

Oh man, I love that sunset pic! And the mourning doves! Such a perfect picture!