Saturday, July 29, 2006

Be careful what you pray for

Well the rain stopped yesterday. I really thought I had died and gone to hell. It was so hot yesterday. It was too hot to do anything. I nearly melted running errands. I hate hot weather. My dad called yesterday. He is in town for the weekend. He is the primary caregiver for my grandfather who has alzheimers. This is such a terrible disease. My dad is 70 years old, my grandmother, his mom, died suddenly in March of 05. I think my grandfather was beginning to forgot back then, but my Grandmother took care of things. Anyway after she died, I told my dad that Paw was getting forgetful. He brushed it off. He stayed with us during Hurricane Rita. I don't think he was bathing regularily anymore. The smell was soooo bad we had to ride with the windows down. Well about 9 months ago, my dad came down to visit my grandfather and found him wallowing around in feces, literally. My grandfather had not bathed in days and there was no food in the house. He said everything was covered in filth. Now understand this is not my grandfather. He was a proud man, a clean man who had taken care of his family for 75 years. Anyway, my dad decided then to take Paw home with him to live. So now every two to three weeks they come down. Dad stays at the farm, thirty acres of land in the country where he has a small home. He brings paw to paw's house in town and lets him stay there a couple of days, then they go back up to Shreveport Well, Dad and Paw are in town and we will be going to eat dinner with them this evening. I asked my Dad if I could have Maw and Paw's photo albums so I could copy some of the pictures of my dad when he was growing up. I have a couple but I would like more. Here is one that my grandmother gave me years ago.

My dad is the scrwany little one. He is the baby of the family. I asked him about that picture yesterday. He told me that the car wasn't even theirs. He thinks it was a neighbor's car. He said they didn't have a car until he was a teenager. He remembers when his grandmother died, the company that hi dad worked for loaned him a truck so the five of them could go to the funeral.

What a story. I love looking at old pictures and getting the stories behind them.

Here are some more old photos.

My Mom in her early 20's

Me - I'm about the same age.

Its about 6:00 am now, and I'm going out to the greenhouse to water.

More Later

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love old photos and the stories behind them!
You bear quite a resemblance to your mother Donna, lovely, : )